Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sunday is a lovely day for...

Sunday Waffles

On Sundays, we usually make the breakfast that we don't have time for during the week. Darling hubby makes coffee in a vintage Sunbeam vacuum pot, and let me say it easily makes a fine cuppa. Occasionally, we poach eggs in a 1950s Sunbeam egg cooker - makes three at a time. And if we're having toast, it goes right into the vintage radiant control Sunbeam toaster, which magically lowers the toast in by itself and slowly raises it when toasting is completed. Now, really, we do have other brands of vintage appliances besides Sunbeam... honest. In fact the waffle iron you're about to see in use is a 1920s Universal by Landers, Frary & Clark.


This past Sunday, it was a toss-up... eggs in some form, or waffles. Since we'd been to the local diner and had eggs on Saturday, waffles won the day. So I chose my weapon... oops, I mean apron... and pulled out The Encyclopedic Cookbook (1950) and mixed the batter for Sunday Waffles.


My current batter bowl is a contemporary one, made of the modern version of "melmac" (and, no I don't mean the planet that ALF was from... why do I even remember that tidbit). I aspire to own a lovely jade-ite Fire King batter bowl someday. Meanwhile, this one serves the purpose.


Here's the waffle iron in action - pretty exciting, eh? See the bubbling batter... and a few minutes later - voila!


Just add sweet cream butter, real maple syrup, and a side of honey-cured bacon! Or, for something a little different, try making some Red Eye Gravy to put on your waffles ;)



Here's to a delicious breakfast of Sunday Waffles made whilst enjoying a little quality time with my main man and my prime pooch.


2 comments:

InkyW said...

NOM NOM NOM!! do you check the electrical devices prior to using them? I want to buy an old coffee pot and toaster but I worry about the electrical aspect.

Miss CherryBubbles said...

Luckily, I have a darling husband who makes sure they're electrically okay. Usually, a huge red flag is if the cord is in poor condition.

I've got several vintage appliances that I use on a regular basis without any problems, including a refrigerator, toaster, blender, electric roaster, electric skillet, egg poacher, and a rectangular waffle iron. ;)