Friday, February 10, 2012

Miss CherryBubbles' Vintage Kitchen Favorites: Sunbeam Egg Cooker

Today, I thought I'd show you one of my myriad vintage kitchen favorites... the Sunbeam Egg Cooker...



I'm not sure exactly why, but vintage appliances like this always seem magical, yet highly scientific, to me. The Sunbeam Egg Cooker makes poached eggs and hard- or soft-cooked eggs and, let me tell you, they always come out exactly the way I want. Just like the advertisement says...



The little plastic measuring cup on the top of the lid is used to measure the amount of water needed to cook poach eggs to your liking. The lid itself is used to measure water for hard- and soft-cooked eggs. Basically, the eggs are cooked by the steam created when your chosen amount of water heats up. Once the water has completely steamed away, the egg cooker shuts off automatically and your eggs are cooked "Exactly as Desired"...



Incidentally, we ate these poached eggs on toast made with an old-timey Sunbeam "Radiant Control" Toaster... but that's a vintage appliance story for another day. ;)

What about hard-cooked eggs or soft-cooked eggs, you ask? Well, here's a video I found that demonstrates how hard- or soft-cooked eggs are done in Sunbeam Egg Cooker. Note that the cooker used here is an earlier version without the clear plastic measuring cup on the top...





So, do tell... have you a vintage kitchen favorite or two?



11 comments:

Adri said...

Gah! Now I want one! That looks too cool... I love poached eggs and I stink at making them myself.

Now I'm off to hunt ebay...

K9RADIOTIKI said...

So hungry now! What ever happened to simple?

Miss CherryBubbles said...

Adri - It's so easy to use. I neglected to mention for poached eggs, melt a wee bit of butter or use cooking spray before putting eggs in... happy hunting! ;)

K9RADIOTIKI - I've been wondering the same thing for years... ;)

Zootsuitmama said...

Whoa! at first I thought the thingy on top was for warming up baby bottles whilst the eggs cooked! LOL!

Mick said...

THAT IS SO NEAT! *Mouth drops open* I have 3 altime favortie kitchen devices. #1 (and newly discovered) The Atom Pop Popcorn Maker, I LOVE THIS THING! #2 my 1946 "Juice-O-mat" Juicer hand worked but still love it. and last but not least The "Well Pot" on my 1954 stove. I love that it doesnt take up space because its sunken into the stove top and the pot is just a regular pot!

Miss CherryBubbles said...

Mick - Ah, Frigidaire's "Thermizer" pot - I love it too! And the other great thing about it is that the burner in the "well" lifts up to become a regular stovetop burner (at least on mine it does)!

SusieQT said...

I have that feature on my Westinghouse as well- I haven't tried it as a deep well cooker yet- it's in the upright and locked position right now. :)

My fave vintage appliance is my 1940s Sunbeam mixmaster. I use it all the time!

Alfredo said...

I have a sunbeam egg poacher as well. However I am missing the poacher insert, any idea where I can get one and the value of the cooker, as well the years this was made. presently use it for hard boiled only.

BigPaul said...

My Lady Friend, we are roommates she is 62 I am 56, showed me how her Vintage Egg Cooker, exactly like the one in the picture here! I was so impressed, I went on-line (eBay) and found one, complete (She is missing the Poacher!), and purchased it via the 'Buy it now!' price. It;s pretty cruddy, I'm going to restore it and keep it for when her dies.....eventually! Sunbeam, the Sherman Tank of appliance! BTW! She inherited it from her mother who used it, almost, everyday since 1950. OH! And there are more on eBay!

Barbara said...

I just found one today at a flea market in Maine for $7.00. Doesn't have the poaching tray, but made great hard boiled eggs. It's in great condition too.

Susan said...

I have one also! My husband bought it at a yard sale. Because it looked neat. Several years later I realize the cord is inside of it but I too am missing the poacher. I just have the boiled egg insert. Nice to know what it is and how it works. More than just another pretty face!