Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Picture Is Worth a Thousand Words...

...and a $5 box of photographs represents a lifetime.


Recently, as I wandered through a small second-hand store in the equally small town where I live, a photograph on top of a box full caught my eye.


As I moved in for a closer look, the proprietress of the shop noted my interest and said, "The pictures are a quarter apiece... or if you want the whole box, $5.00." It was an offer I couldn't refuse, given my love of old photos and the fact that there must have been nearly 100 in the box....

It was much later in the day when darling husband and I had a chance to sit down and peruse this treasure trove. There are pictures of what appears to be the same family, spanning a generation or two, from the early 1900s to somewhere around the 60s. Family vacations, the homes they lived in, baby pictures, pets, it's all here. Of course, I knew after seeing a few of them that I just had to share this fabulous find with all of you. So, in the coming weeks, I'll be posting some of these fantastic snapshots of vintage life...

Ah, the days when swimsuits had good "coverage" and the beach was the main attraction in Atlantic City...






2 comments:

miss vintage love said...

WOW! You are so lucky! I love old photos too, and would be SO excited to find a box like that for $5!

50sgal said...

What a wonderful find! I love these types of things. As I am living this year IN 1955, I am trying to document and make my own little 'vintage photo album'.